- Fine needles are inserted through the skin and gently stimulated. Treatment takes around 10 minutes and usually half a dozen needles are used. This is not usually painful although there may be some discomfort.
- Sometimes the position of the needles may seem strange but there are specific patterns for treatment.
- The needles stimulate the nervous system to modify the way pain signals are felt and they aid release of natural pain killers (endorphin and serotonin) into the nervous system.
- Acupuncture will make you sleep better after treatment and give a feeling of well-being.
- People respond to acupuncture in different ways.
- Some notice an immediate effect and others find that several treatments are required.
- Generally, 70% of patients respond.
- You may feel a little tired.
- Occasionally the acupuncture sites feel slightly bruised for 24 hours.
- It is not uncommon for patients to notice other changes, for example, their back pain improves or other aches become more obvious as the major problem improves.
- If you have any concerns please contact the practice.