This is true. It’s rarely painful, especially in the early stages.
The main cause of periodontal disease is the accumulation of plaque.
Plaque is the sticky film of food and bacteria that forms constantly on your teeth. It’s hard to see plaque. You must remove all of the plaque each day, or else it builds up and mineralises to become tartar, which is also called calculus.
Bacteria produce toxins, and it’s these toxins combined with your body’s reaction to them that destroys bone around your teeth.
NO. It takes professional help to remove tartar. There’s no way for you to remove it at home, a toothbrush or floss won’t even budge it. If it isn’t removed it starts to get onto the root surfaces.
A sulcus is the crevice between the tooth and the gums.
A healthy sulcus is two to three millimetres deep.
When plaque and tartar invade a sulcus and it becomes deeper than three millimeters, we call it a pocket.
This is true.
Teeth become loose and may have to be removed.